Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies

In an attempt to rid my house of sugary and junk foods, I purposely didn't buy any cookies or treats on my last trip to the grocery store. This totally backfired one night when I NEEDED chocolate. I scavenged through the pantry and fridge only to come up empty handed. The struggle was so real that I resorted to the spice cabinet and found cinnamon and cocoa powder, and with the desperation to feed the beast within, I found myself on Pinterest, which led me to this...

These soft, chewy, warm, sweet (but not too sweet), and ever so satisfying Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies. Needless to say, these hit the spot! The fat girl inside me was so pleased that she ate three before offering any to her children or husband- she can be a greedy little devil, that girl. The recipe is not mine, and with further investigating I found it to be a Hershey's recipe. I didn't have Hershey's brand cocoa powder, I just used an off-brand, and my cookies still turned out amazing. Here are the deets:

Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened 
  • 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar 
  • 3 tablespoons plus 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided 
  • 1 egg 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1/3 cup baking cocoa powder
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 


Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. 
  2. Beat butter until creamy. Add brown sugar and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar; beat until blended. Add egg, baking soda, corn syrup and vanilla; beat well. 
  3. Stir together flour and cocoa; beat into butter mixture. If batter becomes too stiff, use wooden spoon to stir in remaining flour. Cover; refrigerate about 30 minutes, if necessary, until batter is firm enough to shape. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon; roll balls in mixture. Place balls 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. 
  4. Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set and tops are cracked. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack or slide parchment paper and cookies to wire rack. Cool completely; peel cookies from paper. Makes 40 cookies.
Enjoy! 

*Special thanks to my neighbor who picked me up some corn syrup while she was at the store! I didn't have any and without asking she snagged me a bottle. Without you the fat girl inside would still be wailing.